Official Contest Rules
1. How to Enter. The contest will be conducted in three stages. Stage I: Online Application begins at 8:00:01 am Pacific Time (PT) on September 1, 2015 and ends at 11:59:59 PT on November 15, 2015. To enter, go to www.ManagerOfTheYear.org, read the Official Contest Rules, and complete the Online Application for one of two categories: On-Site Managers and Portfolio Managers. All Applicants must have a valid email address and can only enter the contest once. All submissions made by Applicants during Stages I must comply with the guidelines and restrictions defined below. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the MOTY contest and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL OR MODIFY THIS CONTEST IN THE EVENT AN INSUFFICIENT NUMBER OF ENTRIES ARE RECEIVED THAT MEET THE MINIMUM JUDGING CRITERIA.
2. Eligibility. Open to legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia (exception: Nevada managers are exempt from being nominated or winning), who are actively engaged in managing association-governed communities and are 19 or older at time of application submission. Void where prohibited by law. Employees, officers and directors of any Sponsor company and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, including members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible. Winners of the “Manager of the Year” Contest cannot participate in any future contests after winning.
3. Ranking: During the estimated time period of November 16 – November 20, 2015, an algorithm-based ranking system will be used to evaluate eligible Stage I submissions and determine the Stage I Finalists. Only these Finalists will be invited to enter Stage II of the contest.
4. Stage II of the Contest: Stage II has 5 submission requirements.
- A 750-1000 word Photo-Essay
- (3) Letters of Recommendation (one from a Board Member, one from a Homeowner at an Association the Manager is currently managing, one from an industry professional)
- Headshot photo
- Signed Publicity Waiver and Release Forms
Photo-essays of 750 words (minimum) to 1000 words (maximum) must be submitted in English, type written, double spaced, and formatted for printing on 8½-by-11-inch paper. By participating in Stage II of the Contest, Applicant warrants that his or her essay (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium, and (3) has not won an award.
Emailed submission deadline is 11:59:59pm PT on February 10, 2016.
All submissions made by Applicants during Stages II must comply with the guidelines and restrictions defined below. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the MOTY contest and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
5. Judging: During the estimated time period of February 10 – March 22, 2016, all eligible Stage II submissions will be judged to determine the Top 3 Finalists in each category. Submissions will be judged on an “identity blind” basis using a grading rubric that measures (a) the degree to which the Manager has been responsible for major Association improvements or turnarounds, as described in the photo essay,; (b) the effectiveness of the writing; (c) the relevance of the photos; and (d) the influence of the recommendation letters. All judges’ decisions are final. The Top 6 Finalists (3 On-Site Managers and 3 Portfolio Managers) will be announced on March 23, 2016 (which may be subject to change as determined by the Sponsors in their sole discretion). Each of the Top 6 Finalists will be awarded a $500 voucher to be used exclusively toward registration and travel cost associated with attending the 2016 CAI Annual Conference & Exhibition from May 4 -7, 2016 in Orlando, FL. THE VOUCHERS ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE.
6. Stage III of the Contest: The Top 6 Finalists will enter Stage III: Online Voting, the final stage of the contest. The online voting begins on April 4, 2016 and ends on April 15, 2016 and will be administered by The Inspectors of Election. The results of the online voting will determine the final winners in each category: On-Site Manager of the Year and Portfolio Manager of the Year. For the official voting rules and regulations visit: The Inspectors of Election.
The Top 6 Finalists are prohibited from obtaining votes by offering money, prizes or other inducements to members of the public, vote farming, or any other activity that artificially inflates such finalists votes as determined by the Sponsors in their sole discretion.
7. Prize. Two Finalists will become the winners of the MOTY contest and will each receive a cash prize of $5,000, a trophy, and a photograph from the award ceremony. Prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion. All expenses not specifically listed herein are the responsibility of winners. The two Contest “winners” will serve a one year term on the Council of Community Association Professionals (CCAP). Winners of the “Manager of the Year” Contest cannot participate in any future contests after winning.
ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. The prizes are awarded without warranty, expressed or implied, of any kind. THE PRIZES ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE.
8. Notification. The Winners will be announced on May 4, 2016 in a private reception in Orlando, FL. If any winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these contest rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the Finalist with the next highest score. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
9. Conditions of participation: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Applicants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Applicant represents that any essay, etc., and other materials submitted as part of Applicant’s contest submission are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Applicant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such essay. In addition, by entering, Applicant grants to Sponsor a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, and republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Applicant’s submitted essay, along with Applicant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Applicant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional, or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice, or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the essay and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, essay, and other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Applicants and Winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Applicant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any Applicant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Applicant, or Winner to ridicule, scandal, or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a winner has received notice of his/her prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
10.Internet: MOTY is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic-transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone-equipment, electronic, computer, hardware, or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law.
11.Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties. In no event will the released entities be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or punitive damages arising out of your access to and use of the service and/or the contest, downloading from and/or printing material downloaded from any websites associates with the contest. In no event shall the released entities’ total liability to you for all damages, losses, or causes of action exceed 0. Without limiting the foregoing, this contest and all prizes are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. Some jurisdictions may not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages or exclusion of implied warranties so some of the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding these limitations or exclusions.
12. Disputes: The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the MOTY Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the MOTY Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of California, City of Calabasas.
13. Governing Law. These official rules and the interpretation of its terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflicts of laws rules. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these official rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these official rules and/or the MOTY contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of Los Angeles in the State of California. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
15. Severability: If any provision of these rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
16. Winners List: Winners will be listed on the contest website: www.ManagerOfTheYear.org after May 4, 2016 for a minimum period of 60 days.
17. Sponsors: A complete list of Sponsors can be found at www.ManagerOfTheYear.org